Case Studies Illustrate the Impact of Inappropriate Workplace Behavior
Harassment and discrimination affect health care just like any other workplace. The case studies below explore situations where inappropriate behavior led to litigation. How would you have handled the scenarios?
- A Boss with a Discrimination Reputation: A patient care assistant’s request to accommodate a shift change was ignored.
- Declining Performance: A patient service coordinator, whose performance review reflected unacceptable performance prior to her termination, alleged racial discrimination.
- Was Age an Issue?: A 64-year-old female registered nurse alleged that her 29-year-old manager purposely hired a young woman for an open position and commented about that new hire's youthful appearance.
- Mishandling a Disability: A researcher’s request for an accommodation leads to a HIPAA violation and later termination.
- Inappropriate Behavior, Insincere Apology: A nurse’s return to work is disrupted by unwanted attention from a physician colleague.
Learn about the patient safety risks of your specialty within the Harvard medical community, and find advice on how to mitigate them.Log in to learn more
Check out these patient safety topics.
Ambulatory Safety Nets, ED Boarding, and Promoting Safety in Understaffed Departments
Insights April 2023
Healing the Healer Documentary, Medical Malpractice Case Study, and EPL Insights
Insights August 2022. Healing the Healer Documentary, Medical Malpractice Case Study, and EPL Insights
Cyber Security: No One Is Safe, Cancer Screening FAQs, and More
Insights June 2023
‘Off-hours’ Care Is Riskier, Patient Receives Wrong Blood Type, and More
Insights July 2023