Through national partnerships, Candello, established as a division of RMF, pools malpractice data and expertise from captive and commercial professional liability insurers across the country to provide clinical risk intelligence products and solutions. Combining data from CRICO’s Harvard-affiliated members and Candello’s national partners, the data represent one-third of U.S. MPL cases, and include open and closed cases as well as cases with and without indemnity payments. An active online community facilitates peer discussion, fosters shared learning, and provides access to exclusive content. Web-based tools leverage Candello’s proprietary claims coding taxonomy to generate individual and comparative analytic reports that enable health care leaders to connect the dots from medical error to patient safety interventions and help transform risk into opportunity. Our benchmarking reports uncover the drivers of patient harm.
Our Corporate Structure
“CRICO” refers to the following group of companies (and their respective divisions) owned by and serving the Harvard medical institutions and their affiliates.
- Controlled Risk Insurance Company of Vermont, Inc. (a Risk Retention Group) ("CRICO VT") provides primary and excess insurance coverage exclusively to Harvard-affiliated medical institutions and their clinicians.
- Controlled Risk Insurance Company, Ltd. ("CRICO LTD"), provides reinsurance to CRICO VT.
- The Risk Management Foundation of the Harvard Medical Institutions Incorporated ("RMF"), established in 1979, applies a data-driven approach to claims management and patient safety on behalf of CRICO’s members.
- Academic Medical Center Patient Safety Organization ("AMC PSO"), established as a division of RMF, is a federally-listed component Patient Safety Organization that performs patient safety activities as defined under federal law. As part of such activities, AMC PSO serves as a national convener of clinicians and health care organizations to promote patient safety by focusing on specific quality and safety initiatives. The AMC PSO represents and serves members of the Harvard-affiliated institutions, as well as other organizations across the nation.
- Candello, established as a division of RMF, leverages national partnerships to pool malpractice data and expertise from professional liability insurers across the country. Combining data from CRICO’s Harvard-affiliated members and Candello’s national partners, the data collective represent one third of U.S. MPL cases. An active online community facilitates peer discussion and fosters shared learning, while web-based tools employ Candello’s coding taxonomy to connect the dots from medical error to patient safety interventions. Together, Candello helps transform patient risk into patient safety.