5 Key Steps for Safe Inter-hospital Transfers
The increased expansion of health care systems allows patients to be moved more easily to receive specialized care. However, there are unique safety risks and considerations when transferring a patient to a different location. Here are five key takeaways from guidelines developed by the Academic Medical Center Patient Safety Organization (AMC PSO) to address existing and emerging risks during inter-hospital transfers.
- Determine whether the benefits of transfer outweigh the risks with input from the care team, patient, and family
- Establish a closed-loop communication process between the referring and accepting clinicians
- Identify whether the referring and accepting institutions share an EHR or not, and make sure there is a reliable way to exchange information during the transfer
- Ensure there are clear communication channels with the transport team
- Anticipate the risks associated with a delayed or prolonged transfer
Download Patient Safety Guidance for Inter-hospital Transfers for more recommendations.