Even though sexual harassment lawsuits are typically the ones to make the headlines, claims and allegations involving workplace misconduct occur in every corner of business, and health care is no exception. That is why, for more than 25 years, CRICO has offered Employment Practice Liability (EPL) coverage to its subscribers under its Association Liability (AL) policy.
Unlike our medical professional liability (MPL) cases, employees are usually the plaintiffs and CRICO member organizations are the defendants in EPL cases. EPL coverage responds to allegations of wrongful acts arising from the employment process including:
- Harassment (including sexual harassment)
- Wrongful termination,
- Hostile work environment, etc.
More than Just Coverage
In addition to handling EPL claims for their insureds, CRICO expanded its EPL risk reduction and best practices program in the same way it has done with its medical malpractice and patient safety programs. Our team of data analysts and legal subject matter experts developed and verified a taxonomy to code EPL cases in our database. Continued case analyses will identify higher-risk areas and help us better collaborate with our members to develop targeted risk mitigation solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What coverages does CRICO’s Association Liability (AL) policy include?
- Employment Practices Violations (EPL) coverage: Responds to allegations of wrongful acts arising from the employment process
- Directors and Officers (D&O) coverage: Responds to allegations of wrongful acts arising from decisions of board of directors and officers
- Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage: Responds to allegations of negligence in the provision non-medical professional services where the CRICO-insured organization is a signatory party to the contract
Q: What coverage limits are afforded under CRICO’s Association Liability (AL) policy?
CRICO provides each member who purchases AL coverage up to $12.5M per claim and $12.5M in the annual aggregate. CRICO members who desire additional limits may also purchase excess coverage from CRICO.
Find answers to other common questions about our EPL program.