A System Expansion Task Force formed by CRICO and Ariadne developed a discussion guide for clinical leaders to acquire at no cost. “We aim to help clinicians be at the forefront of discussions at the time when oncology practice mergers and affiliations are first contemplated,” said the group. Adding, “By doing so, future mergers and affiliations should result in improved patient safety and quality of cancer care.”
Citation for the Full-text Article
Zerillo JA, Lowery KW, Lagoo J, Sato L, Jacobson JO, Haas S. New open-source safety and quality discussion guide for affiliating oncology practices. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2019 Aug;15(8):417-418. doi: 10.1200/JOP.19.00114. Epub 2019 Jul 17.
- Harvard Experts Release New Tools to Protect Patient Safety During Health System Mergers and Acquisitions [press release]
- Hospital Mergers or Acquisitions May Cause Short-term Patient Safety Issues.
- The Risks to Patient Safety From Health System Expansions [original study].
- Patient Safety Discussion Toolkit for System Expansion [toolkit download].
- Digging Into the Patient Safety Risks From Hospital Merger.
- Viewpoint: Why Hospital Mergers Raise Patient Safety Problems.