Breast Care Management Algorithm: Contents
Work on the CRICO Breast Care Management Algorithm began in the early 1990s, when CRICO-insured primary care providers expressed concern over the frequency of malpractice claims alleging a failure to diagnose breast cancer. The first iteration was published in 1995, has since undergone five revisions, culminating in the most recent (2019) edition. CRICO is most grateful for the contributions the expert oncologists, breast surgeons, radiologists, obstetrician/gynecologists, and primary care physicians who have served on the Breast Care Task Force or as peer reviewers.
For questions about the CRICO Breast Care Management Algorithm (2019), contact CRICO Senior Editor Jock Hoffman.
Sections of the Breast Care Algorithm Decision Support Tool
- What’s New with 2019 Version
- Task Force
The task force for this algorithm brought together experts across institutions.
- Physician-patient Discussion and Take Home Points Related to Breast Patient Safety
Use this summary by topic to manage the course of the patient’s breast care issue.
- CRICO Breast Care Management Algorithm Test
You must score at least 85% (17 of 20 answers correct) and complete the test evaluation to receive 2 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
- Improving Breast Patient Safety
Learn the background and purpose of this algorithm.
- Breast Cancer Diagnosis-related Case Data
See what the data reveal about cases related to breast cancer diagnoses.
- Risk Management for Breast Care
- Self-detected mass
- Periodic risk assessment
- Breast density
- Risk factors
- Follow up
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment
- Three main steps to take when treating asymptomatic patients
- Guidelines for working with family history, clinical breast exams, mammograms and risk prediction models
- Breast Cancer Screening
which includes recommendations for:
- Patients with a known genetic predisposition to breast cancer
- Genetic testing criteria for patients without a known genetic predisposition to breast cancer
- Patients at usual risk
- Decision Support Charts:
Also see the CRICO Cancer Screening FAQs.
CRICO Breast Care Management Algorithm Task Force
Jennifer Haas, MD
Judy E. Garber, MD, MPH
Gila Kriegel, MD
Sughra Raza, MD
Michelle Specht, MD
Susan Troyan, MD, FACS (Chairman)