- ACO: Accountable Care Organizations are...
- Advanced Payment Initiative
- At-Risk Beneficiaries
- Capitation (per head)
- Captive Malpractice Insurance
- CMS Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- CMS Innovation Center
- Dually Eligible Beneficiaries
- EHR - electronic health record
- Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Health Insurance Exchanges (HIEs)
- Medicare Shared Savings Program (SSP):
- Pioneer ACO Model
- PSO (Patient Safety Organization)
PCPs Miss Chances with MIs
Nearly a quarter of patients who present to emergency rooms with a heart attack had been seen with cardiac symptoms by their primary care physician previous 30 days. In almost half of those cases, the primary care physicians sent the patient home instead of to the hospital.
Repeat ED Visits, Delayed Diagnosis, Lost Ovary
A case where a sign-out checklist or documentation of an order may have prevented the patient's poor outcome.
Legal Report: Patients Now Sue for "Loss of Chance"
Courts disagree on patients' ability to get money for losing less than a 50 percent chance of recovery due to delays in treatment or diagnosis.
Legal Report: Follow Up Falls On MDs
Physician responsibility when patients don't keep appointments or test results don't come back.