Article authors Ariadne Lab researchers Susan Haas, M.D., and William Berry, M.D., along with CRICO president and CEO Mark E. Reynolds, shared how “Over the past few years, Harvard-affiliated hospital systems have expanded, much like their counterparts in other parts of the country. The leadership of these systems identified mergers and affiliations as an emerging area of risk.” CRICO was asked by its affiliate institutions “to support a process to better understand the nature of the risk caused by the variation in how care is provided in the different hospitals and to propose solutions.” CRICO partnered with Ariadne Labs to do this.
Citation for the Full-text Article
Haas S, Berry W, Reynolds M. Hospital mergers or acquisitions may cause short-term patient safety issues. STAT. July 31, 2018.
- Harvard Experts Release New Tools to Protect Patient Safety During Health System Mergers and Acquisitions [press release]
- Viewpoint: Why Hospital Mergers Raise Patient Safety Problems.
- The Risks to Patient Safety From Health System Expansions [original study]
- Patient Safety Discussion Toolkit for System Expansion [toolkit download]
- Digging Into the Patient Safety Risks From Hospital Mergers