MA Board of Registration Requirements for Continuous Professional Development and Risk Management Study
Biennial CPD Requirement (formerly CME)
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine requires physician licensees to complete 100 hours of CPD credits within the immediately preceding two years and must include 2 hours of studying the Board’s regulations. At least 51 hours should be in your primary practice area(s). Ten hours must be in the area of risk management study.
Types of Credit
- Category 1 – Formal, pre-planned activities that focus on medical malpractice prevention such as risk identification, loss prevention, and patient safety. Those areas may include medical ethics, quality assurance, medical-legal issues, patient relations, utilization review, and non-economic aspects of practice management.
- Category 2 – Activities that provide valuable learning and address medical malpractice prevention but are not designated as formal, pre-planned activities. (e.g., participation on peer review committees in quality assurance, or medical ethics)
Risk Management Study
Risk management study must include instruction in medical malpractice prevention and may include courses in medical ethics, quality assurance, medical-legal issues, patient relations, risk identification, patient safety, loss prevention, utilization review that directly relates to quality assurance, non-economic aspects of practice management, or courses designed to reduce the likelihood of medical malpractice.
Risk Management Credits
Effective Pain Management
You must accrue 10 credits of risk management study. Four credits must be in category 1. The additional 6 credits may be in category 1 or category 2 Risk Management Study.
Physicians who prescribe controlled substances must complete 3 hours of study in effective pain management.
All physicians, regardless of specialty must complete 2 hours of study in end-of-life care.
Credits for CRICO Publications
CRICO offers various formats in which to meet your continuing education requirements.
- Bundles are simply prepackaged sets of podcasts or Insight that allow you to easily earn up to 0.5 Category 1 Risk Management credits. You may have an email reminder sent to you. You should keep track of these credits the same way you track your Category 2 credits.
- Events or Webinars are available as well.
- Tests contain questions drawn from CRICO’s decision support tools. You must score at least 85% and complete the evaluation to receive the allotted AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™ on these tests.
- Breast Care Management Algorithm Test and Colorectal Cancer Decision Support Tests: 17 of 20 answers correct and complete the evaluation to receive 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™ .
- Obstetrical Services Guidelines Test: 43 of 50 answers correct and complete the evaluation to receive 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™.
- Podcasts may be combined for 30-minutes of continuous learning and downloaded to your computer, read as a transcription, or accessed through iTunes. The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine has endorsed podcasts equaling 30 minutes for 0.5 Category 1 credits. You should keep track of these credits the same way you track your Category 2 credits.
- Insight offers actionable data, expertise, and personal physician perspectives on areas of risk. Each issue of Insight explores a facet of patient safety: the medical malpractice experience—both personal and in aggregate data—and strategies for mitigating risk to both providers and patients. The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine has endorsed each complete issue of Insight for 0.5 Category 1 credits. You should keep track of these credits the same way you track your Category 2 credits.
Live Education Programs
Continuing Medical Education Credit
Many CRICO activities and events are designed to meet the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine’s requirement for risk management study.